Chickpea and Vegetable Curry
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tbsp curry powder
225g carrots, peeled and sliced
225g mushrooms, quartered
1 small head of cauliflower, broken into florets
2 tbsp tomato purée
225g tin of chopped tomatoes
600ml vegetable stock
410g tin of chick peas (or another bean of your choice), drained and rinsed
100g frozen peas
200g basmati rice (or 50g person), prepared as per the instructions on the packet
Method1. Heat the oil in the large saucepan then gently fry the onion for 2 minutes. (Drop a piece of onion into the oil as it is heating. When the onion starts to sizzle, the oil is ready).
2. Add the garlic and curry powder and stir, giving the onions and garlic a good coating of curry powder, and leave to cook for 2 minutes. (If you are unsure of how spicy you might like your curry, use less curry powder to start and gradually add more to taste).
3. Stir in the carrots, mushrooms and cauliflower and gently fry for 3 minutes more.
4. Add the tomato purée, tinned tomatoes and stock, bring to the boil and stir in the chickpeas.
5. Leave to simmer gently for 10 minutes then stir in the peas. (Now is a good time to start preparing your rice!)
6. Cook for 10 minutes more, season to taste, and serve over rice.
© The Vegetarian Society – (recipe taken from the booklet Veggie Kids’ Kitchen, available in the resources section on this site)