Tofu Steak with Coconut and Lemongrass Rice
Tofu is made from soya protein and has been shown to help reduce cholesterol levels.
Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking: 40 mins
For the lemongrass rice:
100g brown rice
2 sticks lemongrass
150ml reduced fat coconut milk
50g soya beans, frozen
10g fresh coriander, chopped
2 large spring onion, finely sliced
For the dressing:
1½ tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin
1 tsp sesame oil
For the tofu:
1 tbsp cornflour
Pinch of ground black pepper
Pinch of salt
300g firm tofu
1 tbsp groundnut oil
2 tsp black sesame seeds
Method1. Place the rice in a colander and rinse well.
2. Carefully bruise the lemongrass by bashing it with with a rolling pin or the handle of a heavy knife. Place the rice in a saucepan with 150ml water, the coconut milk and lemongrass, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook the rice for about 25 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. If the rice dries out add a little more coconut milk or water.
3. While the rice is cooking, you can prepare the rest of the dish. To make the dressing, combine the soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil in a small bowl using a whisk or fork.
4. Next, prepare the coating for the tofu. Place the cornflour on a small plate and season with the ground black pepper and a pinch of salt.
5. Lay the tofu onto kitchen roll and gently squeeze it dry. Cut the tofu into four pieces lengthways. Coat both sides of each piece of tofu with the cornflour mixture.
6. In a large non-stick frying pan heat the groundnut oil until it begins to smoke, then place the tofu in the pan and cook each side for 3 minutes or until golden brown in colour.
7. Once the rice has cooked, remove the lemongrass and stir through the soya beans, coriander and spring onion. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the soya beans have defrosted in the hot rice.
8. To serve, split the rice between two plates and top with two slices of tofu. Drizzle the tofu with the soy dressing and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
© The Vegetarian Society