1 onion, finely chopped
225g carrots, finely grated
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
225g pine nuts, grated
2 tbsp chopped parsley
squeeze of lemon juice
2 free range eggs
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
freshly grated nutmeg
For the Sauce:
7g dried mushrooms, rinsed
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp cornflour
2 tbsp vegetarian Madeira or fortified wine
2 tbsp shoyu sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Grease and line a 500g/1lb loaf tin.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the onion, without browning, for 5 minutes, then add the carrot and celery and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the pine nuts, parsley, lemon juice and eggs.
- Season well with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
6. Pour into the tin and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown and firm in the centre.
To prepare the sauce:
1. Put the mushrooms and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil then remove from heat and leave to soak for 40 minutes, then drain, reserving the liquid and chop the mushrooms.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and fry for 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms and gently cook for 30 minutes until tender.
- Mix the cornflour with the reserved liquid, Madeira and shoyu, then add to the mushroom mixture. Bring to the boil, stirring until slightly thickened. Season to taste.
- Turn the roast out onto a plate, slice thickly and drizzle with the mushroom sauce. Serve with roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots and all the trimmings for a classic vegetarian Christmas feast that will be a sure-fire hit year after year.