1 bottle full-bodied vegetarian red wine
1 cinnamon stick
4 split cardamom pods
2” fresh root ginger
4-6 tbsp sugar
200ml brandy (optional but recommended!)
- Pour the wine into a large saucepan.
- Cut the orange into quarters and push cloves into the rind of one quarter.
- Slice the remaining 3 pieces thinly.
- Add the orange quarter and slices to the pan with the cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and sugar.
- Heat slowly until hot, but do not allow to boil and add the brandy 6. Serve in heatproof glasses or small cups. If you are worried about the glass breaking, stand a metal teaspoon in the glass before adding the hot liquid.