Supergreen Stir-Fry with Marinated Tofu
Choosing wholegrain varieties of rice helps to increase your daily fibre intake, which is good for a healthy digestive system. Wholegrain foods are also a good source of B vitamins which help to convert food into energy.
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 30 mins
80g brown rice
20g cashew nuts
1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 medium red onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
160g marinated tofu pieces
100g broccoli, cut into small florets
1 large courgette, cut into sticks
50g soya beans, frozen
10g fresh coriander, finely chopped
2 tsp low sodium light soy sauce
Method1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the rice and cook for 20 minutes until tender.
2. While the rice is cooking, toast the cashew nuts in a small pan over a medium heat until they turn golden brown. Watch the pan carefully as the nuts can easily burn. Once browned, remove from heat.
3. Next, heat the coconut oil in a wok or large, deep-sided frying pan, add the onion, garlic and chilli and cook for 1 minute, then add the tofu and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the broccoli, courgette and soya beans, adding a small splash of water to the pan so the vegetables can cook in the steam. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender, stirring in the cashew nuts halfway through.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the coriander and soy sauce.
6. Drain the rice and divide it between two bowls, then top with the stir-fry.
Recipe from Happy, Healthy and Delicious recipe book by the Vegetarian Society www.vegsoc.org/shop
© The Vegetarian Society