Sweet Tomato Chutney
Makes about 2.7kg/6lb
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 2-3 hours
1.8kg tomatoes, roughly chopped
450g cooking apples
450g onions, peeled and chopped
3 red peppers, deseeded and diced
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pickling spice
½ tbsp dill seeds
450g soft brown sugar
600ml cider vinegar
1. Put the tomatoes, apples, onions, peppers, sultanas, garlic and salt in a large pan. Tie the pickling spice and dill seeds in muslin and add to the pan.
2. Add the sugar and vinegar to the pan.
3. Simmer for 2 1/2-3 hours, until the mixture is thick and the vegetables have reduced to a pulp. Stir frequently.
4. Remove the spices and spoon the chutney into sterilised jars.
5. Seal with vinegar-proof airtight covers.
© Cordon Vert Vegetarian Cookery School.
Visit www.vegsoc.org/bbq for our barbecue film and more recipes.
Cooks tip: if you grow tomatoes, green tomatoes work well too.