4-5 tbsp sunflower oil
3 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 red peppers, chopped
450g button mushrooms
225g frozen peas
350g green beans, trimmed and cut into 1.25c m/1/2" slices
2 x 450g cans chopped tomatoes
900g long grain white rice
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp saffron
1.8 ltr vegetable stock (boiling)
to taste salt and freshly ground black pepper
225g green olives, chopped
175g toasted cashew nuts
Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190C/ 375F/ Gas 5. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and fry the onions and garlic over a medium heat until starting to colour.
- Add the peppers and mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes. Transfer to a large casserole dish. Add the peas, green beans, chopped tomatoes, rice, and paprika. Mix the saffron with the boiling stock and pour into the casserole dish, simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Cover the casserole dish and transfer to the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed. (Alternatively, simmer altogether in a large pan on the hob).
- Season to taste and leave to stand for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the olives and serve sprinkled with the toasted cashew nuts and fresh parsley.
Serve with a colourful tomato and olive salad with a garlicky oil and vinegar dressing if liked.
Copyright © The Vegetarian Society 2010