Strawberries and Cream Cake
This is a classic summer dessert. Now that English strawberries are available from June to September you can make it right through the summer months.
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 20-25 minutes
175g butter, at room temperature
175g caster sugar
175g white self-raising flour
3 free-range eggs, beaten
½ tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp hot water
450g fresh strawberries
600ml whipping cream
You will also need:
2 x 18cm sandwich tins, greased and floured
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
2. Put the butter, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla essence and hot water into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
3. Divide the mixture equally between the two prepared tins and bake for about 20 minutes, until the sponge is golden and springs back to the touch.
4. Leave for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
5. Whip the cream until stiff.
6. Spread each layer of sponge with cream, and sandwich together. Top with cream and strawberries.
7. Chill until required.
© The Vegetarian Society
Visit www.vegsoc.org/bbq for our barbecue film and more recipes.