Anne’s Mushroom Stroganoff
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 15-20 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
250g mushrooms, sliced
2 shallots, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
250ml vegetable stock
½ tsp dried, crushed chillies
110g basmati rice
200ml soya single cream
Ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and then add the mushrooms, shallots and red pepper. Cook until they soften and most of the liquid has disappeared. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
2. Add the vegetable stock and chillies to the frying pan. Cook for 7 minutes, until about half of the liquid has reduced.
3. Whilst the stroganoff is cooking, begin to cook the rice according to packet instructions.
4. Add the cream and a generous amount of pepper to the stroganoff, then simmer for approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Once cooked, spoon out the rice onto plates and spoon the stroganoff on top.
6. Enjoy with garlic bread (use gluten/wheat free bread if required)
Image © The Vegetarian Society 2013