Sue’s Tomato Mushroom Roast
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 45 minutes
2 onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
142g tin tomato puree
3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
2 tsp yeast extract
200g brown bread or tomato bread, made into crumbs
1. Fry the onion in olive oil until translucent.
2. Chop mushrooms finely and add to onions.
3. When cooked add tomato puree, yeast flakes and yeast extract. Stir well.
4. Add breadcrumbs and mix until all combined. The mixture should be quite dry and form a ball.
5. Place in a well-greased and lined small loaf tin.
6. Cook 200C until the top is beginning to brown (approximately 20 minutes) then turn the oven down to 180C and cook for another 20-25 minutes.
Recipe created by Sue Daniels from Leicestershire for the Vegetarian Society’s ‘Surprisingly simple’ member recipe competition, part of National Vegetarian Week 2013 (www.nationalvegetarianweek.org).
Image © The Vegetarian Society 2013
This is also really good the next day served cold with salad.