This classic carrot cake looks very impressive - but is really easy to make!
Enough for nine slices
2 free-range eggs
75g light brown sugar
100ml vegetable oil
150g self-raising flour, sieved
175g carrots, grated
½ tsp ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
Light Icing (if required):
30g icing sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
2 drops of orange food colour (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Grease and line a 450g loaf tin.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl then blend in the oil. Gradually add the flour, stirring continually with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the carrots, sultanas, ginger and nutmeg, mixing everything together until it is evenly combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the loaf tin, ensuring that it is evenly spread out. Bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Mix the icing ingredients together. When cake has cooled, top with icing, slice and serve.