Bolognese sauce for perfect pasta
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
400g pasta (spaghetti, fusilli, fettucini, shells, etc)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
50g dried soya mince or 100g frozen veggie mince
1 red pepper, finely chopped
2 tsp mixed dried herbs
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Pepper to taste
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
Grated vegetarian or vegan cheese (optional)
- Cook the pasta in the large saucepan according to packet instructions, drain in the colander, flush with cold water, then set aside.
- If using dried soya mince, soak in boiling water for 5 minutes, or according to packet instructions, then drain.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan on medium heat, fry onions, garlic, mince, and pepper for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add mixed herbs, sugar, vinegar, and pepper to the mince mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the flavour as necessary with extra herbs and seasoning.
- Reheat the pasta in the colander by pouring boiling water over it.
- Return the pasta to the large saucepan and toss it with the sauce. Alternatively, spoon the pasta onto plates and top with sauce.
- (Optional) Garnish with grated cheese.
© The Vegetarian Society