Big Bad Boy Salad
Big Bad Boy Salad – packed with punch this beefy salad ain’t no wimp! This is a playful dish with has lots of components. To save time why not divide the recipes up between your friends and turn your kitchen into an episode of master chef?
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
For the Salads:
20 washed new potatoes
8 tomatoes, chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
40g fresh coriander
½ lime juice only
2 tsp olive oil
4 medium potatoes, grated
750ml of vegetable oil for frying
800g of butter beans, drained
100ml tomato juice
3 tbsp olive oil
20g thyme, chopped
½ lemon - juice only
Pinch of sugar
½ tsp paprika
1 packet or 400g of firm tofu cut into chunks
400g cooked noodles (vegan)
4 tbsp mango chutney
4 Bird eye chillies, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated
1 packet of cress (approximately 20g)
1 cucumber, finely sliced
200g baby spinach
8 pickled chillies, cut the tip off to squeeze of excess liquid.
Salt and pepper
For the Special Shot:
4 shots of vodka
1 tsp vegetarian worcestershire sauce
800ml tomato juice (chilled)
1 bird eye chilli
- To make the sweet and sticky potatoes: Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the new potatoes. Simmer for around 10 minutes until cooked but still firm. When cooked drain and put to one side. * When you are about to assemble the salad heat 2 tsp olive oil in a frying pan. Slice the potatoes in half and add to the pan. After 2 minutes add 2 tbsp spoonful of mango chutney and 2 finely chopped chillies. Stir and cook for 2 more minutes, then serve.
- To make the salsa: Finely chop the red onion, tomato and fresh coriander, place in a small bowl and add the lime juice lime and 2tsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make the tomato chilli shot: Slice open 1 birds eye chilli remove any seeds and finely chop. Add this to the 800ml of tomato juice, four shots of vodka, and 2 tsp of vegetarian Worcester sauce, chill. Stir before serving.
- To make the deep fried potato grates: Peel and grate 4 medium potatoes and pat with a paper towel to remove some of the water. In a large pan bring the oil up to frying temperature. To test this add a few grates to the oil. The potato should start to sizzle almost immediately. When ready carefully add half of the grated potato. Using a large slotted spoon carefully agitate the potato. After approximately 6 minutes scoop out the crispy potato and place onto a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Repeat method until all the potato has been fried. Season with a pinch of salt.
- To make the butter bean salad: Place the drained beans into a bowl. Add 100ml of tomato juice, chopped fresh thyme, 1 tbsp olive oil, juice of half a lemon, ½ tsp of paprika, a pinch of sugar, season with salt and pepper.
- To make the sticky noodles and tofu: Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large non-stick frying pan. Mix together the tofu and noodles and gently fry for 5 minutes. Add 2 chopped chillies and 2 tbsp of mango chutney and continue to cook for 3 minutes occasionally stirring. Serve.
- Assemble your salad with the shot as the centre piece! Use the grated carrot, cucumber, spinach, cress and pickled chilli as a garnish. Dress the salad with the remaining lemon, lime and 1 tsp olive oil.
Notes*don’t forget the sticky potatoes!
You can also use rice noodles to make the salad wheat and gluten free too.