Surprise Chocolate Brownies
The surprise in these sweet, moist brownies is that they are egg- and dairy-free with only natural sugars, and are packed with goodness.
Preparation time 35 mins
Cooking time 25 mins
60g wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa powder, sieved
100g vegan margarine
1 very ripe banana, mashed
75g pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
1 tsp vanilla essence
Vegetable oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the dates in the medium saucepan with just enough water to cover them. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Once the dates have cooked, drain off the hot water, and run them under a cold tap to cool.
- Purée the dates. (A hand blender works well for puréeing).
- In the small mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder, then set aside.
- In the medium mixing bowl, using a fork, cream together the dates and the margarine until light and fluffy.
- Stir the sifted flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into the date and margarine mixture.
- Add the banana, nuts (optional) and vanilla essence.
- Lightly oil the baking dish, then evenly spread the mixture into it, smoothing the top with a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the brownies start to come away from the sides of the dish.
- Allow to cool in the pan, cut and serve.
NotesNuts can be omitted for younger children.
Please note: Nutritional Information does not include nuts.