100g onion, peeled & finely chopped
1 tbsp sunflower oil
50g carrots, very finely chopped
35g mushrooms, finely chopped
50g red lentils
600ml vegetable stock
25g mashed, tinned red kidney beans
35g ground peanuts
25g ground hazelnuts
1 tbsp shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried rosemary
Generous pinch cayenne pepper
2 tsp mixed spice
200g fine oatmeal
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F or Gas 5. Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes, then add the carrot and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now add the lentils and three quarters of the stock.
- Blend the mashed red kidney beans in the remaining stock, add these to the pan with the nuts, shoyu, lemon juice and seasonings. Cook everything, well mixed together, for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then add the oatmeal, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, adding a little extra liquid if necessary.
- Turn the mixture into 4 lightly oiled pudding tins and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 – 25 mins
- Serve with mashed neeps (swede) and tatties (potatoes), green veg and onion gravy.