100g onion, peeled & finely chopped
1tbsp sunflower oil
50g carrots, very finely chopped
35g mushrooms, finely chopped
50g red lentils
600ml vegetable stock
25g mashed, tinned red kidney beans
35g ground peanuts
25g ground hazelnuts
1 tbsp shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried rosemary
Generous pinch cayenne pepper
2 tsp mixed spice
200g fine oatmeal
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F or Gas 5. Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes, then add the carrot and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now add the lentils and three quarters of the stock.
- Blend the mashed red kidney beans in the remaining stock, add these to the pan with the nuts, shoyu, lemon juice and seasonings. Cook everything, well mixed together, for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then add the oatmeal, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, adding a little extra liquid if necessary.
- Turn the mixture into 4 lightly oiled pudding tins (to be supplied on the day of shoot) and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 – 25 mins
- Serve with mashed neeps (swede) and tatties (potatoes), green veg and onion gravy.