Artichoke and Sunblush Tomato Tarts
Makes 4 individual tarts (or one large tart)
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
200g ready rolled puff pastry
100g quark (for vegan version use dairy free soft cheese)
225g tinned artichoke hearts in brine (rinsed and drained)
2 tsp - sun dried tomato paste
1 medium egg yolk, beaten*
75g sun blush tomatoes
4 Greek black olives (stoned)
25g wild rocket, or mixed herb leaves
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp capers, rinsed
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp fresh mint
* for Vegan version omit and brush with a little olive oil
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°/Gas 6.
- Cut out four circles from the pastry (approximately 11cm/4 ½ “dia.) and place on a lightly greased baking sheet, or in a 4 portion yorkshire pudding tray. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of pastry with the beaten egg yolk.
- Mix together in a food processor, quark, 100g artichoke hearts and the sun dried tomato paste into a smooth paté. Spread over the pastry base up to the egg washed border.
- Cut the remaining artichoke hearts into quarters and arrange in a fan on the paté, alternating with the sun blush tomatoes. Add an olive into the centre and bake for 15 minutes until pastry is golden.
- Finely chop the mint, leaving several leaves in thin slices for garnish. Combine with the balsamic vinegar, capers and olive oil and toss with the rocket.
- To serve, divide the salad between four plates and place tarts on top while still warm.