Lentil Shepherd's Pie
A Traditional Favourite
A herby blend of lentils and potatoes baked into a savoury casserole that's sure to satisfy.
400g tinned green lentils or cooked and drained green lentils
1tsp of oil
2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
½ tsp dried sage
½ tsp dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, crushed
dash cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
2 kg potatoes peeled and boiled
300ml hot milk
Margarine to taste
200g vegetarian cheese
- Pre heat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Gently fry the onions in oil in a large pan for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the sage, oregano, garlic, cayenne and salt as required. Stir then set to one side.
- Mash the potatoes with the hot milk and margarine.
- Lightly oil a large ovenproof dish. Spread the lentil mixture into the bottom and top with the mashed potatoes. Bake for 25 minutes.
- As an optional extra, top with vegetarian cheese and finish off under the grill.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables.