Poached Pears with Red Wine and Ginger Sauce
Poached pear recipes are always popular. This one is distinguished by the addition of ginger.
4 hard pears
300ml oz red wine
25g caster sugar
1 whole cinnamon stick
1 tsp arrowroot
1 piece stem ginger in syrup, very finely chopped
1 tbsp stem ginger syrup
- Peel the pears, but leave the stalks intact.
- Slice a thin disc from the base of each pear, if necessary, to
- Place the pears on their sides in a saucepan. Pour in the red wine,
the sugar and add the cinnamon stick.
- Bring up to simmering point, cover the pan and simmer very slowly
one hour, turning
now and again so that the pears cook evenly in the wine.
- When the pears are cooked, transfer to a bowl to cool, leaving the
the pan. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Mix the arrowroot with a little water until it forms a smooth paste.
Add this to the
liquid in the pan over direct heat. Bring the syrup just up to simmering
point so that it thickens slightly and becomes translucent.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the chopped stem ginger and
- taste. Leave to cool. Spoon the sauce over the pears, basting them well. Cover and chill
the pears in individual dishes with the sauce spooned over.