Vegetable Stir Fry with Cashew Nuts
1 tbsp groundnut oil
1 onion, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, sliced
1 yellow pepper, sliced
100g broccoli florets
175g baby sweetcorn, halved
2 courgettes, sliced
50g water chestnuts, sliced
2 tbsp shoyu
1 tsp arrowroot, mixed with 2tbsp light vegetable stock
5cm piece fresh root ginger, grated and juice squeezed out
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
50g cashew nuts, lightly toasted
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the peppers and fry for 3 minutes more.
- Add the broccoli florets, sweetcorn and courgettes and continue to fry for a further 5 minutes. Add the water chestnuts and toss to mix in.
- In a small bowl, mix together the shoyu, arrowroot and light stock, ginger juice and sweet chilli sauce.
- Using a wooden spoon, make a space in the centre of the stir fried vegetables so that the base of the wok is visible. Pour in the sauce and bring to the boil, stirring all the time until it starts to thicken. Toss the vegetables to coat thoroughly with the sauce.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the cashew nuts.
NotesServing suggestion: Serve with boiled Thai Jasmine rice.
Copyright © The Vegetarian Society 2000