Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
25g butter or soya margarine
8 small pickling onions or shallots, peeled
110g chestnut mushrooms, wiped
50g button mushrooms, wiped
250g tinned/vacuum packed pre-cooked chestnuts
210ml vegetarian / vegan red wine
300ml vegetable / vegan stock or water
2 bay leaves
1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1tsp / 5ml dried rosemary
½ tsp dried parsley
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
freshly ground black pepper
225g vegetarian / vegan puff pastry, thawed if frozen
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Melt the butter or margarine in a frying pan and sauté the onions until lightly browned.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
4. Add the chestnuts, the red wine, stock and herbs.
5. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to reduce the liquid a little.
6. Stir in the mustard, tamari and black pepper to taste. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
7. Check seasoning and consistency and adjust as necessary.
8. Spoon the mixture into a pie dish. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and place
on top of filling.
9. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden.