Mushroom and Tomato Pitta Boats with Tofu Scramble
For the Mushroom & Tomato Boats:
1 ½ tbsp butter or *vegetable oil
325g small chestnut mushrooms (halved or quartered if necessary)
1 tsp coriander seeds, well crushed
½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
16 cherry tomatoes
1 tsp mild paprika
1 tbsp flat leaved parsley, roughly chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese, finely grated (*omit for vegan)
2 tsp dill, finely chopped or 1 tsp dried
4 pitta breads
For the Tofu Scramble:
285g firm tofu
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2-3 sliced spring onions, including the green part
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
½ small red pepper, diced
½ tsp turmeric
1-2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
cayenne or black pepper accoridng to taste
- For the mushroom & tomato boats: Heat the butter or oil in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the mushrooms and the spices and stir together. Cover and cook on a low heat for 6-7 minutes shaking the pan occasionally.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes and paprika and cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes until the tomatoes start to split. Mix in the parsley.
- Combine the olive oil, dill and cheese in a small bowl. Grill the pitta slices, split open and brush the inside with the oil mixture and grill until slightly crispy.
- Pile a quarter of the mushroom and tomato mixture on top of each pitta and serve immediately.
For the tofu scramble: Drain and crumble to tofu.
- gently heat the oil then saute the sping onions, garlic and red pepper for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the crumbled tofu and turmeric and stir well until heated through.
- Add soy sauce and pepper to taste.