Oriental Vegetable Kebabs with Peanut Dressing
1 red pepper, deseeded & cubed
1 yellow pepper, deseeded & cubed
12 cherry tomatoes
6 spring onions, topped, tailed & cut into 5cm lengths
2 baby courgettes
groundnut oil oil for grilling
6 kebab skewers
basmati rice to serve
For the Maranade:
3-4 tsp TERIYAKI SAUCE
For the Dressing:
1 tbsp groundnut oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tsp hot chilli powder (optional)
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
115g unsalted roasted peanuts, ground
150ml coconut milk
juice of 1 lemon
salt & pepper to taste
- Mix all the vegetables together in a bowl and pour on the marinade or Teriyaki
sauce, making sure the vegetables are evenly coated. Cover and leave for
1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- To make the peanut dressing, heat the oil in a small saucepan and
fry the shallot or onion until starting to brown. Add the chilli powder
and cook for one minute. Stir in the marinade or Teriyaki sauce, garlic,
sugar and ground peanuts. Stir well. Add the coconut milk a little at a
time. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for two minutes. Stir in the
lemon juice and season to taste.
- Put the rice on to boil.
- Thread the marinated vegetables onto skewers. Brush with a little
oil and grill over the coals for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Gently re-warm the peanut dressing.
- Serve the kebabs on a bed of rice, drizzled with peanut dressing.
Notes*some brands of teriyaki may not contain wheat which would make this recipe suitable for gluten/wheat free diet.
Copyright © The Vegetarian Society 2010