Leek and Chestnut Purses
(with ginger and red pepper relish)
Serves 4 (3 purses each)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
For the Purse:
2-2 ½ tbsp olive oil
100g leeks, trimmed and finely chopped
50g Arborio risotto rice
30ml dry white vegetarian wine
325-375ml light vegetable stock
60g chestnuts (vacuum packed), roughly chopped
2 tbsp soya cream
300g filo pastry, cut into 24 x 12cm squares
For the Relish:
1 large Roasted red pepper (deseeded & skinned) – chopped
2 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated Pinch caster sugar (to your taste)
- Pre-heat oven to Gas 6/200C. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, lightly fry leeks until soft and golden. Stir in rice – coat well. Add wine, bring to boil. Add 175ml stock, enough to cover rice.
- Cover pan, simmer until liquid’s absorbed.
- Add 175ml stock and chestnuts, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 10-12 mins until rice is cooked.
- Stir in cream, season well. Set aside.
- Lightly brush one filo square with oil, place another on top to form an eight pointed star and brush the tips.
- Place 2 tsp of mixture in centre, pull up edges of star to form a purse. Repeat until 12 made.
- Bake on a tray for 15 mins until golden.
- For relish: Mix pepper, ginger and sugar, blend well. For finer sauce, add water and sieve. Serve relish with each portion of purses.