Not Just a Nut Roast
Serves 4. This can be made 2 or 3 days before you want to eat it.
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
1 – 1 ½ tbs olive oil
125g vegetarian Halloumi cheese, thinly sliced
50g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
50g ground almonds
150g cooked basmati rice (about 75g uncooked weight), cooled
1 small red pepper, cut into small dice (about ½ cm)
2 – 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1 – 1 ½ tsp fennel seeds, ground
75ml hot light stock (3 tsp light stock powder to 75ml water)
50g stoned black olives, halved
to taste salt and pepper
2 large free range eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 375F / Gas 5. Grease a 450g loaf
tin. Line the base and ends with a single strip of baking paper, leaving
an overhang at each end. This will help to ease the loaf out of the tin
- Gently sauté the onion in 1tbs olive oil in a frying pan until
soft but not coloured. Remove from the pan and set aside. Using the remaining ½ tbs
olive oil if necessary, turn up the heat and use the same pan to fry
the halloumi cheese quickly until brown on both sides. Remove from the
pan and set aside to cool, then cut into very small dice (about ½ cm).
- Grind the cashew nuts with half the walnuts until powdery and add
the breadcrumbs. Put the remaining walnuts into a processor and process
until very finely chopped.
- In a large bowl, mix all the nuts together with the onions and halloumi
cheese and all the remaining ingredients except the eggs. Season to taste
then add the beaten eggs and beat well. Press the mixture into the prepared
loaf tin, with a slightly rounded top surface. Put into the bain marie*
and bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until firm. Check
after 30 minutes, and if it appears to be browning too fast, cover with
- When cooked, remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 10 – 20 minutes before turning out. Slice with care using a sharp knife, and wiping the knife clean after each cut.
Notes* Bain marie: put the filled loaf tin in a deep oven dish. Fill the dish with boiling water to half way up the loaf tin. Then put all in the oven to bake.