Cannellini Bean & Smoked Applewood Sausages
With seasonal mash & onion gravy
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
250g cooked cannellini beans
50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
100g vegetarian smoked Applewood cheese *use smoked tofu for vegan + 50g finely chopped hazelnuts
freshly ground salt & pepper to taste
2 large free-range eggs, beaten *omit for vegan
50g wholemeal breadcrumbs, for coating *use finely chopped nuts for vegan version
For the Mash:
1 kg white potatoes and other seasonal root veg, peeled and chopped
100g kale, chopped
1 knob butter/vegan margarine
2 tsp EPC hot horseradish
500g broad beans
- Fry the onions in oil until soft then add the garlic and smoked sweet paprika. Continue to fry for another 30 seconds.
- Put the fried onion mixture in a food processor along with the beans, breadcrumbs, cheese and season with salt and pepper. Process into a pate consistency.
- Roll the mixture into 8 sausages. Dip each one in the beaten egg and then roll in the extra breadcrumbs. Shallow fry the sausages two at a time turning only when the bottoms have brown first to avoid them falling apart.*if doing vegan version coat in the nuts and grill under a moderate flame, turning occasionally.
- Make the mash by boiling the vegetables until soft around 20-25 minutes. Drain and mash thoroughly then stir in the butter or vegan margarine and horseradish.
- Serve the sausage with the mash, peas, broad beans and your favourite onion gravy.