Slow Roasted Pepper Calzone
National Vegetarian Week Recipe 2011
Slow roasted pepper, onion and pine nut calzone served with an orange and almond salad. The salad is packed full of flavour, not to mention goodness!
For the Dough:
360g plain white flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp fast active yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
240ml luke warm water
For the filling:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 red pepper, finely sliced
1 yellow pepper, finely sliced
250g tinned artichokes (or in oil as a special treat), drained and sliced
300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
75g pine nuts
1 tsp dried oregano
For the side salad:
300g mixed salad leaves
2 oranges skinned and cut into segments
75g toasted flaked almonds
juice of 1 lemon and 1 tbsp olive oil mixed together as a dressing
- For the dough: Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the salt sugar and yeast and stir. Make a well in the flour and add the oil, then gradually add the water whist stirring. Dust your work top with a little flour. Place the dough on the worktop and kneed for 8 minutes. Divide the dough into two halves and place into a clean bowl, cover and put in a warm place for 20 minutes. At this point move onto the sauce and topping.
- For the sauce: Gently fry the onions for five minutes, then add all of the other ingredients. Put onto a low light and allow to simmer until ready to use, stirring occasionally. When cooked it should be rich and sticky.
- For the filling: Pre heat the oven to 200°C. Place the onions and peppers onto one tray and the artichokes and mushrooms on another. Sprinkle over oregano and drizzle with olive oil and season with black pepper. Place in the oven for 20 minutes (do not add the pine nuts).
- Back to the dough.... After 20 minutes of rising turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Gently roll the dough out to the size of a large dinner plate.
- Place filling on one half of the rolled out dough. Using a pastry brush wet the edge of dough. Fold over the dough pulling and pinching the dough together to seal the join. It will look like a large Cornish pasty! Carefully place the calzone on a floured baking try and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- To make the side salad simply place the leaves, oranges and almonds into a serving bowl. Dress with the lemon and olive oil vinaigrette. Serve.